Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Getting Back To the Project

 It's been 5 years since I've posted and that's because I took a long break from the project. I'm an author and I needed to focus on writing books, podcasting and marketing; then there was the ultra-running goals.  If you want to find out more about what I'm involved in visit: https://www.redbikepublishing.com  https://www.jeffreywbennett.com https://www.bennettinstitute.com.

i almost sold her and the person who was going to buy it would use her for parts. Great plan, but I just didn't feel right about it. I felt I could finish and needed the right motivation. I've decided to focus the time and attention needed to put this crazy bug back together. I want my children to learn to drive a stick shift, see their dad finish a project, and drive this classic around. These are great goals and motivation that I need to finish.

Since starting the project I've learned to many new things including  welding, metal work and problem solving. I mean 40-50% of the car has new metal where rusted out components prevailed. I'm no pro, but am satisfied with the daily driver this will become. I was trying to make a show car, but lack of experience hit me like a freight train. I thought  I could finish this in a few months and watching tv shows and youtube did not provide the right story. This takes many, many hours beyond a few months. My wife was getting fed up with this failed project and the neighbors were beginning to talk. Have you noticed that many tv shows are including the amount of hours the projects are taking, lol.

So my plan is to put her together with new wiring, seals, and showing off all of her scars. My car will only have top coating and no pain. With that declaration, I can now put it together. My father told me to keep it simple, and I'm following that advice. 

I decided to start the engine:


Once it started, I could move forward.


















Now that it would start, I could put the body back on the chassis. I was expecting a huge amount of work, but I got a few friends together and it took a few seconds. I used four really long bolt (10mm) as guides to settle the body in the right place.







I forgot to weld on the right wheel well support, so I did it after the body was mounted. It turned out pretty good. Once done, I repainted all of the under surfaces with undercoating.


I had to order a new part. It's the left side heater part.




Now, all of these parts are awaiting installation.

No comments:

Post a Comment