Friday, January 1, 2016

Installing the front left vw beetle quarter panel part 1.

One of the most challenging of operations is the removal and installation of the front left quarter panel. My bug had been crashed so many times by previous owners that it had no more shape to it. I tried to correct it with bondo, then gave up. 

The first task is to drill out the old spot welds around the front apron, sides, and front cross beam (fire wall) and heater channel. Then you have to unfold the metal around the door. I found that if I cut cross wise above the quarter panel fold, I could chisel the fold down the length of folded metal. That worked.

This is the folded metal. Cut a slit across the fold just above the quarter panel. Then pry the fold open.

This is what the pried open fold looks like. The old metal will slide right out.


I ordered a new panel and began removing the old pane. I drilled out old spot welds and ground out large pieces of metal until all was gone. I pried the rest out and once finished, began prepping the new piece to fit.

 Trying to fit the quarter panel to the front apron and the door post metal fold is difficult. I decided to tackle spot welding to the front apron first. I called my dad to help and thankfully he was available. As I welded he pushed in the quarter panel flush with the front apron. We used pot holders to disperse the heat from the mig welder.

New quarter panel spot welded to the front apron

Spot welds inside the front apron


The fold is straightened and the new sheet metal should fit in.






No comments:

Post a Comment