Friday, January 1, 2016

FItting in the VW Beetle Heater Channel Part 1

 Removing the old rusted out heater channel took a while. I bought a new heater channel with all components as a unit. It fit very well. After drilling out the spot welds, prying and grinding, I pulled out the old stuff piece by piece. I decided to put the body back on the chassis so that there would be less of a chance for the body to warp or fold. That worked out pretty well until I tried to put in the new channel. It just wouldn't fit with the gas,brake, and clutch pedals in the way. I finally lifted the back end off the chassis and put it on a saw horse. I finally had enough room to bolt the new channel to the chassis. Once securely bolted in, I lowered the chassis. I'll weld it in later after I replace the cross beams. They are pretty rusted out as well.

Try as I might, I couldn't get the new channel in.


I lifted the rear of the body off the chassis. Finally enough room.


I bolted the new heater channel to the chassis and lowered the body to the heater channel.




Heat channel fits, just have to finish welding in the new front left quarter panel


New channel fits like a dream.


Look at that





No comments:

Post a Comment