Friday, March 28, 2014

Finishing Some Chasis Work





I cleaned all the rotors on the outside to make them look nice and hold off on future rust until I can buy new rotors. Since the work is pretty easy, I'll save the new brakes and rotors until the project is done. I used a drill with a wire brush attachment to clean the rotors. I ground all the surface rust off, cleaned and painted with high temperature black caliper paint. They really look good.


The chassis is pretty much done where rust has been ground out and small holes repaired with POR-15 paint and fiberglass matting. A strong, waterproof bond on the floor pan is what's left. I've removed  most of the bolts, cleaned an repainted them as well. The only thing I couldn't get done was the removal and installation of the CV boots. Those bolts are just too tight and I keep stripping the star fittings.

My last chassis project is the wheels. I went to the local tire changing shop (Top-Line Tires) and paid $5.00 each to remove five tires. My plan is to clean the paint and rust off the rims and repaint in ivory powder coating. I read there is a company htat will do that for me, but online prices were $200 to $1000 per wheel. I'll take this project on myself.
I brought the wheels home and applied an environmental
citrus paint remover product called Citristrip. After the first application, I waited 24 hours and scrubbed with a wire sponge. I applied a second and third application before I was satisfied. The process worked great and now all I have to do is get some deep rust of a few of the r
ims.


No comments:

Post a Comment