Saturday, November 16, 2013

Taking out and replacing side windows

Brand new rubber
dresses the glass up nicely
 I ordered two seals for my back side windows. The old VW is getting a face lift. Maybe not so much a face lift as a nice shot of BOTOX around the eyes. These new seals look great and will make my bug like new once finished.

After the trial and error experiencing removing both the rear and front glass, I found an easier way to to take out the windows. After pulling of the aluminum trim, cut the old seal all the way through the trim's channel.  Next cut between the window and seal (lift the rubber and slip the carpet knife blade in and slice to meet the cut you made in the channel). This will allow you to remove just the part of the seal holding the window in. Press the window gently from the inside and it should pop out. Next, just remove the old seal.

The channel for the new
aluminum trim
Where it took almost and hour to install the new seal around the back window, I developed a rhythm and method. The second window took about 30 minutes and the third window to 10 minutes. Use the same technique I mentioned earlier. This time you will be able to feel what is right and what works. Practice makes you faster. I'm looking forward to seeing how fast I get the windshield done. 


No comments:

Post a Comment